Parish Council Meeting Minutes

 Our Savior Parish Council Meeting Minutes 

April 26, 2018 

 

Attendance Roster

Council Members                            Office            Year          Present                   Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3            X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3             X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3            X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2            X
Jane Baker Secretary 2             X
Deborah Farmer 1             X
Toni Ortiz 1             X
Frank Hacker 1 X

 

 

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz.  A.J. Glassen, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m.  Father David gave the opening prayer.  Minutes were approved for the 3/22/18 Meeting.  A.J. will send the minutes to Mary and Post.

Discussions

 

The Finance Report was discussed regarding the New Security System and New Church Door Locks (twenty copies of the keys were made and a Sign-out Sheet will be used).  HVAC Units need to be replaced in the Cry Room and Bathrooms (estimate $14,000).  Internet streaming installation complete by April 19th.  Video Surveillance will be in Jennings Hall, Court Yards, Trailers, front and side of Jennings Hall and the Rectory.  There will not be a Camera in the Church.  Father David will be able to see his door on his Phone.  The cost will be approximately $17,000.  The Cameras will be as follows:  2 at the Rectory, 2 at the Trailers, 3 at the Door Bells, 1 at Jennings Hall and 1 at the Office.  Matt Alford is handling the installation.  The Covered Walkway along south side of Jennings Hall will be addressed in 2019 and we don’t have an estimate at this time (an estimate will be submitted by Ben Cummings).  The Children’s Classrooms will be used for Church Meeting Rooms in the future.

 

Old Business 

No news on the Deacons Chairs.  The hole in the Back Yard has been fixed.  MAWSS will continue to maintain the storm drains that pass Mill House Creek.

Every year elections for Parish Council are addressed.  The Election will be held this weekend.  There are 15 Candidates and 3 will be chosen.  Father David will receive the Ballots.

Financial Report 

Our Representative from the Finance Committee was not at the Meeting.

New Business 

Ceiling Tiles in the Sacristy were patched.  There is a crack in the wall in the Sanctuary.  The Archbishop’s goals are Evangelization, Marriage/Family and Vocations.  Implementation will take place in 2019.  Streaming Video of the 11:00 a.m. Mass will be available on Facebook.

Father David was concerned about absences of some Parish Council Members missing more than 3 Meetings.

Mark from the Neighbor Center will speak at the Masses the weekend of April 28th and 29th.  Sign-up Sheets for Volunteers were placed in the back of the Church.

 

The next Parish Council Meeting will be a Farewell and Welcome Meeting.  All current Members should bring food, snacks or desserts. Outgoing members Kim Vo, Rob Crusse, Rhina Gomez and Jamie Price are exempt … we thank them for their service.

Scheduling Note: The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Thursday, May 24th 2018 at 6:30 pm in the Rectory.

Closing prayer was offered by Frank Hacker.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

 

 

Respectfully submitted by Henrietta Toth for Jane Baker May 18, 2018

Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes 

March 22, 2018 

Attendance Roster

Council Members Office Year Present Absent Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X
Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes 

February 28, 2018 

Attendance Roster

Council Members Office Year Present Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz. A.J. Glassen, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., and Rob Crusse opened the meeting with a prayer.

The parish council welcomed representatives from the Mobile Area Interfaith Conference. The parish council invited the members to speak at the meeting to give a better understanding of The Neighbor Center project. The Neighbor Center project offers advocacy and reentry services needed by most former inmates to become law-abiding citizens capable of pursuing personal goals and leading self-sufficient, productive lives. Some of the areas that present an opportunity for Our Savior to be involved include: Evangelization; women going into the barracks providing life skill classes and bible study; in-jail ministry; and The Neighbor Center program to help reintegrate clients back into the community. The Neighbor Center assist clients with housing, rent and utilities being established, CDL license, driver’s license, bus passes, assisting clients to get established with health care facilities, assist to get donated furnishings and with delivery of the items, community and financial assistance, job readiness training, therapy and community awareness marketing program. Rob Crusse proposed a representative to address the parish at Sunday mass. Fr. David agreed, but it could not happen until after Easter. Fr. David agreed he will be responsible for contacting MAIC and scheduling the date. Fr. David stated his goal is to be supportive in ways that will be beneficial in teaching life skills, help in ways that Jesus asks us to do first of all, and what is best for the community.

The regular Parish Council meeting opened with Rob Crusse confirming with Fr. David that he agreed to follow up and coordinate the scheduling of a MAIC representative speaking to the parish at Mass.

The minutes were approved from January 24,2018 meeting. Jane Baker will notify Mary to post the minutes.

Old Business 

MAWSS is not responsible for the problem associated with the storm drain. It was determined that direct deposit for tithing is not financially feasible due to the charges from the bank.

Financial Report 

Amount remaining on building loan = $70K

Archdiocese tax increase is $900/month, paid monthly (30% increase)

Catholic Charities is close to goal.

Drain pipe repair ongoing.

Deacon chairs are 50% paid.

Sanctuary internet update to live streaming of Mass: $4,500 for computer and to beam internet.

New Business 

Fr. David introduced discussion re: security for the church property. Father is researching a camera security system for the office, Jenning’s Hall and the rectory. Fr. David discussed several instances that have recently occurred at night on the property. The dead bolts have been changed at the rectory. We already have motion detector lights in place. A bid to install a security system is pending from Matt Alford. Jamie asked would there be additional bids. Father stated he is comfortable with the previous work done by Matt Alford. The number of cameras needed for the security system was discussed. Kim and Jamie both suggested more than the 8 proposed by Fr. David. Cameras by the sheds are also being considered. Kim suggested the church consider purchasing a system with capabilities of adding additional cameras as needed. A.J. introduced his concerns over security during Mass and the recent gun violence. He suggested locking the doors after Mass started, the possibility of parishioners/ushers that can legally carry firearms having them at mass. Father voiced his concerns of not turning the church into a fortress. Fr. David said he agrees with keeping office doors locked. The finance council is currently addressing the security system and should have an update after next meeting, March 21, 2018. Jamie said that he understands Father’s concerns about locking the doors and he would be willing to be on site as security in the parking lot. Jamie also suggested coordinating with other parishioners to put a program together, similar to a community watch. Kim suggested that the cameras could be used for monitoring. Jamie said he would like to see something implemented that would provide a safe environment during mass. Father requested Duke and Kim Vo contact the finance council to provide insight on their security system and suggestions.

Parish Council nomination cards will be placed in the pews within the next few weeks. The outgoing council members will manage the election process. Outgoing members are Kim Vo, Rob Crusse, Rhina Gomez and Jamie Price.

Scheduling Note: The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Thursday, March 22, 2018 at 6:30 pm in the Rectory.

Closing prayer was offered by Rhina Gomez.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Baker, February 28, 2018 

Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes 

January 24, 2018 

Attendance Roster

Council Members Office Year Present Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz. Jamie Price, Vice President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., and Jamie opened the meeting with a prayer.

There were no previous minutes approved at this meeting.

Old Business 

The repair of the hole on the back of the property is on hold. It is pending MAWS to come out and assess appropriate area to dig. There are 2 bids to repair the busted drain pipe and they are only $50 apart. Toni and Jamie will be contacting MAWS to see who is responsible due to the problem associated with a storm drain. Jamie will also be contacting Ken to verify if he has heard back from Frank regarding line location. The repairs are not urgent.

We are continuing to explore areas we can be involved in the Neighbor Center. They are in the middle of moving to a new location and this should be completed in February or March. Rob will continue to follow up with the Neighbor Center and will also look at the Jesuit representative coming to one of the Parish Council meetings and discuss the areas we can help.

Replacing the office copier is going to be resolved on a later date and will be removed from the parish council agenda.

Financial Report 

Rob Crusse reported on financial meeting: The 2017 income and expenses were both higher than 2016. The 2018 budget is flat. The loan for the building modification should be paid off this summer. The financial reports and explanatory notes were crisp and accurate. The industrial freezer in Jennings Hall broke and has been replaced. It was beyond repair and was an immediate need. The rectory floors and cabinet work have been completed and the purchase of an area rug is still pending. Drainage pipe repair estimates have been submitted as mentioned in “old business”. Additional work could be required depending on the location of the “T” from the north side of Jennings Hall. The Deacon’s chair plans were to be submitted this week. The cost is covered by donations.

A meeting for live streaming of Mass will be held 1/31/18. The meeting will involve a computer crew, Matt Alford’s company that installed the recording equipment we currently have in place, Greg Carpenter from the finance council, Tina Lyons and Van Walsh.

Fr. David reported the balance of actual YTD income was $25,000 YTD higher than budgeted. The expenses were significantly lower and the net was approximately +$120,000 for the fiscal year. This is significant because the Archdiocese tax for 2018 has increased 50%. This increase was built into the 2018 budget.

Toni Ortiz will be discussing the possibility of direct deposit for tithing with Judy Pukac.

New Business 

The Arch Bishop is requesting we begin to explore and discuss how the parishes are going to be involved in the 4 principles he wants to focus on: evangelization, vocations, neighbor outreach and marriage & family strengthening. Fr. David noted the parish is already strong in the areas of evangelization and neighbor outreach. By May the Bishop is going to send out a series of guidelines he wants each parish to use in moving forward with this. We have 1 young man from out parish currently in Seminary. Fr. David has sent out letters to potential future participants.

The council will continue to explore ideas on ways we can be more supportive with vocations and marriage & family strengthening.

The Our Savior Pre-school will be closing at the end of this school year.

Brian Carpenter painted the baseboards in the rectory.

Scheduling Note: The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 6:30 pm in the Rectory.

Closing prayer was offered by Fr. David.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Baker, January 24, 2018 

Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes 

November 21, 2017 

Attendance Roster

Council Members Office Year Present Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz. A.J. Glassen, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., and Frank Hacker opened the meeting with a prayer.

Minutes from the October 18, 2017 meeting were not approved at this meeting.

There were no motions or approvals at this meeting due to no quorum.

Old Business 

There is still no resolution on replacing the copier. Time and talent/stewardship is being coordinated by Mary Marks and she will be contacting A.J. Glassen so he can arrange for the Parish Council to contact and thank the volunteer heads of each committee. The maintenance to the flooring in the church and working sacristy is partially completed. Trimming of the parking lot trees and the replacement of the bulbs will be completed before Christmas. Rectory flooring and kitchen cabinet refacing will be taking place January 2-5th. A.J. Glassen and Rob Crusse have met with Dan Williams and Linda Hurm with the Neighbor Center to discuss volunteer opportunities. There are several opportunities for the church to become involved that include meeting with clients in the jail as well as returning citizens in the community. Parish council members received a handout with full explanation of the areas in need. The council will vote at the next meeting on which opportunities the church will move forward with.

The retaining wall behind the rectory has been completed.

Financial Report 

The finance committee will be voting on the 2018 budget at their meeting on Thursday. The church is approximately $5,500 ahead of YTD projected collections. Any overage at the end of the year will be maintained in the account but will not be a part of the 2018 budget.

New Business 

There is a busted pipe in the back field that will need to be repaired. It is not a critical situation but will be addressed once bids are received. It will be done from 2018 budget.

Scheduling note: There will be a joint meeting with the Financial and Parish Council December 13, 2017 at 6:30p.m. in the rectory. After we meet there will be a Christmas party. Please bring your favorite hot or cold appetizer/hor d’oeuvres. The rectory will furnish beverages and paper products.

Closing prayer was offered by Rhina Gomez.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting ended with no motions or approvals at 7:15p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Baker, November 21, 2017 

Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes 

October 18, 2017 

Attendance Roster

Council Members Office Year Present Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz. A.J. Glassen, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., and Jane Baker opened the meeting with a prayer.

Minutes from the September 27, 2017 meeting were approved and will be forwarded for posting.

Old Business 

There is still no resolution on replacing the copier. It has been determined however, there will be no problem terminating the lease we now have. Time and Talent/Stewardship cards will be in the pews for at least 2 more weeks. Celestine Chappell graciously accepted the nomination for Christ the King and Stewardship speaker. Regarding church maintenance, the carpeting inside the church has been cleaned except the sanctuary which will be cleaned on Monday. The stripping and refinishing of the Sacristy floors is in progress. Trimming the parking lot trees to improve the lighting and replacing lightbulbs in the church is still in the planning stage. We now have a wood chipper that was donated. Pending final approval by the finance committee, the work on the rectory flooring should begin January 2-5th. The study, dining room, living room, hallway, front entrance and Fr. David’s bedroom will be replaced. After looking at multiple companies it has been decided to use Bama Flooring. The cost should be about $7,800. Fr. David is hoping the kitchen cabinet work can be done during this same time frame but, no final decision has been made. Tentatively the plans are for Bill Gunkel and Chester Marecki to do the job. Work on the retention wall is going well and should be completed by 10/20/17.

Financial Report 

Offerings were lower due to low attendance from Hurricane Nate but, the church is still approximately $6,000.00 over budget YTD. The financial committee is hoping to have a preliminary approval of the 2018 budget at the meeting on October 19, 2017. No preliminary numbers regarding stewardship are available.

New Business 

Advent/Christmas schedule and preparations to be finalized at the next liturgical committee meeting on 10/26/17. Rob Crusse has continued contact with Dan Williams with Neighborhood Outreach Program. There are plans for Rob to meet with him and he will report back to the parish council.

Father proposed another dimension of outreach the parish can be involved is to be trained to be a guardian. Information is in the back of the church regarding the training to be a court appointed guardian.

Scheduling note: The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Tuesday,

November 21, 2017 at 6:30 p.m. at the rectory.

Closing prayer was offered by Jamie Price.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Baker, October 18, 2017 

Our Savior Parish Council

Meeting Minutes

August 16, 2017

Attendance Roster

Council Members                           Office            Year         Present                   Absent

Fr. David Tokarz, Pastor Pastor X
Kim Vo 3 X
Rob Crusse Finance Liaison 3 X
Rhina Gomez 3 X
Jamie Price Vice President 3 X
A.J. Glassen President 2 X
Hank Toth 2 X
Jane Baker Secretary 2 X
Deborah Farmer 1 X
Toni Ortiz 1 X
Frank Hacker 1 X

The meeting was held in the rectory, hosted by Fr. David Tokarz. A.J. Glassen, President, called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m., and Fr. David opened the meeting with a song “There’s a Meeting Here Tonight” by Cantus.

Minutes from the May 17, 2017 meeting were approved and will be forwarded for posting to the website.

Old Business

An update on the retention wall was given by Fr. David. The grounds will be evaluated in mid- September to make sure the grounds are dry enough to begin the project. Vince has hooked up the power box and will start removing a few of the trees.

Financial Report

Fr. David reported the financial status is stable and collections are $10-15,000 ahead of budget.  Anticipated expenses being considered include: replacing the roof on the church due to age; replacement of the shed in the far back due to termite damage, with an estimated cost of $4,000; refurbishing the kitchen cabinets in the rectory, pending bids; $8,000 to resurface the parking lot above the rectory; and possibly looking at new flooring in the rectory. The covered walkway at the church should be paid off in about one year.

New Business

Information on a local outreach program was discussed. A handout was distributed on The Neighbor Center. The Neighbor Center is a re-entry program that connects those released back to the community with the necessary resources to help them be successful. Rob Crusse proposed that the parish council attend a fundraiser hosted by Mobile Area Interfaith Conference for The Neighbor Center. It will be Monday, September 11, at Byrne Hall on Spring Hill College’s campus. The cost is $50 per person or $800 per table.

A motion was proposed for the church to send a delegation to conduct an assessment and report back to the council on specific needs and how Our Savior can help meet those needs. The motion was approved by the parish council.

Frank Hacker reported he will begin repair to the parish sign on Cody Road. Father discussed that the financial committee was responsible for a decision to purchase a chipper and a second dumpster for debris.

Scheduling note: The next meeting of the Parish Council is scheduled for Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the rectory.

Closing prayer was offered by A.J. Glassen.

With no further business to conduct, the meeting was adjourned at 7:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by Jane Baker, August 16, 2017

January 2019Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.